• China’s Supply of Minerals for iPhones and Missiles Could Be a Risky Trade Weapon
More migrant children at the border.
The Trump administration has warned Congress that the flow of unaccompanied migrant children at the southern border has increased and may require an additional $1.4 billion to provide housing and care.
The Pentagon said on Wednesday that it would build temporary housing along the southwestern border for 7,500 migrant adults facing deportation, responding to a surge in undocumented immigrants and asylum seekers.
A 16-year-old Guatemalan boy was found dead at a Border Patrol station in southern Texas after a week of waiting in holding facilities to be sent to a shelter for migrant children. He is the third child to die in Customs and Border Protection custody since December.
• They Grow the Nation’s Food, but They Can’t Drink the Water
• Both Parents Are American. The U.S. Says Their Baby Isn’t
Here’s what else happened this week:
• Gov. Mike Parson of Missouri on Friday signed into law a bill outlawing abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy, joining several other states this year in enacting measures designed to limit women’s access to the procedure.
• The Trump administration proposed to roll back Obama-era rights for transgender people in the Affordable Care Act, eliminating “gender identity.”
• In a move that would infuriate congressional Democrats and Republicans who are seeking to limit American military support for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the Trump administration is preparing to bypass Congress to allow the export of weapons Gulf Nations.